• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Students cut hair, cakes, other deals

There’s nothing in the world like a good bargain. Everyone wants one, and at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus, the classes are in session curbing the recession. On Monday mornings, the crowd grows restless, lining up to the wafting aromas of warm sugary treats. Early birds get the best pick, and the patrons in the back of the line crane their necks to keep their eyes on the diminishing morsels. Ask about the buzz and you will see why the need for strategy.

Cheryl Miranda has been operating sales for the 6th floor bakery in the Main Building for some time now. There, underneath the safety of the glass, you, as students or staff can find danishes, loaves of bread, dinner rolls and other delights all for around a dollar.

Usual steals like doughnuts come in under a buck, while the big feature items, like student’s practice cakes on display, go for $4.50 to $7.50.

Specialty cakes can be made to order for $5. Requests should be made in person with a deposit. The sixth floor bakery is in Room M686 and is open Mon.-Thurs., 7-11:30 a.m. Call 414-297-6318.

If you are lucky enough to snag a snack by 11:30, and catch the nearest elevator down to the first floor, you can find another deal.

Like the Bakery, the Barber/Cosmetology department is open Mon.-Thurs., but from 12:30-3:30 p.m.

Please check the door flyer schedule for free men’s haircut dates and times posted. Some services may take up to four hours to complete.

All chemical services must be scheduled ahead of time. Call 414-297-6819.

Nail-Tech Lab students offer a salon experience at a reasonable rate Mon.-Wed. afternoons. There, you can get:
    Full set acrylics, gels or fiberglass, $15; spa pedicure, $12; manicure and pedicure combo, $20. Call 414-297-6258.

The Optical Dispensary located in the H Building, Room H130, is ready to fill eye glass prescriptions on Mon. and Wed. from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Tues. from 9 a.m. to noon. Call 414-297-8018.

Also, Mon. through Fri. the MATC Dental students do teeth cleaning and x-rays in the H Building, Room H115, but there is a waiting list for appointments until September. Call 414-297-6573.