• Despite the forecast, live like it's spring. — Lilly Pulitzer

Mequon Book Club exposes students to a variety of books for 10 years and counting

It has been over 10 years since the Mequon Campus Book Discussion Group was created by Terri Sutton, an English instructor now retired, who had started the first gathering as a community service.Since Sutton, who still works as an adjunct, retired as an English instructor, the position has been run by Marianne Szabo.

Szabo took over as coordinator of the discussion group and has a special place for those who have never been to a book club discussion.

No reservations are required, and it’s open to students and staff alike.

“I hope that after their experience with our group at MATC, students may decide later in their lives, when they are busy with careers, to take time out and participate in a book club, either ours or others that are available to them,” said Szabo.

She also said, “Our book discussion group is exposing students to a particular kind of cultural event; book clubs are opportunities for people to come together, share ideas and grow intellectually.” And according to Szabo, sometimes the meetings can and have offered even more.

She told the MATC Times that back in February, for Black History Month, English instructor Myra George led the discussion on Douglass’ Women by Jewell Parker Rhodes.

George had arranged with Linda Presberry, an adjunct English instructor, to have the MATC catering service bring African-American food to the discussion. With steaming crab cakes, corn, and blackened chicken on a cold, snowy night, the meeting felt cozy, as if friends were sitting around a table having a chat.

One attendee drove an hour and a half during the snowstorm to get to the discussion, and she was well rewarded with good food and stimulating conversation. George and Presberry also organized a Black History Month contest at the Mequon Campus in conjunction with questions about Douglass’ Women, resulting in monetary and other prizes for students.

Szabo admits that it is less formal than a class, and with no grades attached the book talk is enjoyed.

Currently, they meet three times a semester: in September, October, November, February, March and April. Meeting times are always from 7-8:15 p.m. on Wednesday evenings. If you’re a book lover, you’re invited to join the discussion of William McDonough and Michael Braungart’s “Cradle to Cradle.” It is the last in the series of books to be featured in the spring discussion.

Copies of the books can be checked out at the Mequon Campus Library, or you can purchase it. You will receive 15% off the price of these books at Next Chapter Bookshop in Mequon or Creekside Books in Cedarburg when you mention Mequon.

The next meeting: Cradle to Cradle on Wednesday, April 21, 2010, 7:00-8:15 p.m.

They meet at the MATC Mequon Campus, 5555 W. Highland Rd., Room A202. For more information, please contact Marianne Szabo: 262-238-2262, [email protected].