• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Boy George, it’s the Horticultural Club!

Our educational institution has a lot to offer, namely its clubs. We asked Michael J. Wendt, the Arboriculture/Horticulture Instructor for MATC, a few questions about this interesting group. He revealed to us that, “The Horticultural Club of MATC is an organization of ‘Hort’ students at the Mequon Campus with the goals of providing educational opportunities, social networking, and industry contacts through meetings, events, and field trips.” He also said that the “HC” raises money for these events through plant sales and maintenance stipends from a non-profit in Cedarburg. When asked how long the club has been around, he relayed that it is believed to have been started somewhere in the early 1970s. How long have the significant members been involved? According to the instructor, since its inception. “It has always been very busy,” he states. The HC holds about one meeting per month at the Mequon Campus, often in room A-270 or A-271. The days of the meetings vary, but here are some of the important events:CONFERENCES:

1. PLANET Student Career Days (Professional Landcare Network). In late March, this student competition in landscape events, landscape related national job fair and educational conference has been happening yearly for about 35 years. MATC’s Horticulture students have participated in every one (the first one had only 5 colleges). This year’s SCD will be very close-in Joliet IL, and the “Hort” Club hopes to have 20 or more students participate. For more information, go to http://www.studentcareerdays.org/

2. TCIA Student Career Days (Tree Care Industry Assoc.) In early November, this student competition in tree care events, arboricultural related job fair, and education seminars, all combined with the world’s largest arboriculture trade show has been happening for the last 14 years. MATC Arboriculture/Horticulture students have participated in every one. For more information, go to http://www.treecareindustry.org/Public/meetings_expo_careerdays.htm.

3. Mid-Am Horticultural Trade Show takes place in Chicago in mid-Janurary, and the Hort Club travels by coach bus to participate in the trade show, educational seminars and a regional job fair.

And that’s not all. there are even activities.

ACTIVITIES:
    1. Plant sales: The HC sells plants that the greenhouse classes produce such as mums, poinsettias, forced bulbs and the big bedding plant sale. This is their main fundraising activity.

2. Campus Clean-up. Twice per

year the HC participates in pruning and weeding areas of the Mequon Campus, giving back to the MATC Community.

3. Field trips. The HC organizes 1 to 2 field trips to botanic gardens per year.

4. Meetings with speakers. Occasionally, the HC will work with an instructor and bring in a horticulture-related speaker for all students to hear.

Michael J. Wendt is indeed a busy individual, along with the HC members, but he leaves us with these dedicated words, “Along with Student Senate at the campuses, the HC is one of the most active clubs at MATC. I’ve been the HC advisor for 17 years.”

So, if you’re interested in joining a solid club with great ideas, then this might be the place for you. For more information, please call 1-262-238-2332.