Program recognizes advanced students

Looking to enrich your college experience with greater intellectual challenges, gain a competitive edge in your program, or simply vamp up your transcript or résumé?
Look no further than the MATC honors program. An ideal way to specialize and excel in their areas of interest, ambitious students can engage in an honors contract, which provides an opportunity to earn honors credits toward their program upon completion of an independent study project.
Dr. Christine Ryan, coordinator of the honors program, informs that three types of projects are encouraged: academic research, such as a thesis paper or experiment; service learning, which provides a hands-on experiential way of learning; and multimedia projects, which have a wide array of applications.
Upon completion of a project, a student’s transcript would then read “Class Taken With Honors,” which can be of great benefit. “With how competitive things are these days… anything that can set you apart as being special can be a competitive edge,” says Ryan.
In this way the honors program exists to appropriately address and challenge the needs of advanced students.
Previously available only to Liberal Arts and Sciences majors, the honors program is now available to students on most two-year programs as well, provided that they have a GPA of 3.3 or higher.
Ryan stated, “MATC works hard to ensure that any student who comes through our door gets what they need,” emphasizing that the school is for all manner of students and that there are resources available for high performers.
Interested students can contact Dr. Ryan by email at [email protected] or by phone at 414-546-6618 for more detailed information on how to apply.